Saturday, February 18, 2012

Naturopath

Saw Dr. Som yesterday at the new practice! She is 6 months pregnant! (Yay, congrats!) Told her that when I booked my appointment almost a month ago, I was looking for more support for the weight loss. Now, I'm looking for guidance and support for growing our baby :-)
She was so happy to hear our news and asked how far along I was (going into week 6!), how I was feeling (ok, just tired) and if I was taking any supplements (just the prenatal vitamins). She suggested I add fish oil (for healthy brain development), calcium to protect my bones and baby's (if you don't have enough calcium, the baby well start to take calcium from your bones) and Iron SAP (to help prevent neurological defects such as Spina Bifida). I said I had some of those vitamins at home, but she said it is important that the fish oil be ONLY Omega 3 and of a clean brand with no mercury. I bought the Iron SAP off them for $16. The calcium magnesium I have at home is fine she said. She suggested we do a urine sample and checked my glucose, pH level and protein. Glucose and pH were fine but I had a slight increase in protein in my urine. She said it's nothing to worry about but we will keep an eye on it. I have another appointment with her over March Break. After my appointment I went to Fiddleheads to pick up the fish oil brand she recommended. It was about $26 with discount using my "prescription". I finally feel like someone is taking care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment